About Me

My photo
I am starting my third battle with cancer and I would like if you travel with me ...

Monday, July 11, 2011

Food

It is all about cancer.  Did I tell you that the only thing I am not ashamed to say ‘I hate’ is cancer?  I HATE CANCER.  This week they will put in a permanent port so that they can give all the chemo they want.  Thursday is chemo day.

Knowledge transfer 1: When you have chemo, and as much as I have, your veins are shot.  The port is connected to the vein underneath the skin this way they only poke you once (into the port) and not seven times to get blood or give chemo.  Wednesday is port day.

Knowledge transfer 2: I get a shot of Neulasta the next day after chemo which cost about $6,845.  Thank God and the military for insurance.  This medicine helps boost the white cells which are destroyed by the chemo.  Between day 4 and 10 the white cell count goes down to nothing (neutropenia).  It is not built back to a healthy state until day 14.  During this time, the risk of infection is very high and without defenses the results could be deadly.  So if you have a friend going through chemo, remember the danger during this period and do not go visit them if you have a remote possibility of having a cold or flu, wash your hands as soon as you walk in the door, no fresh flowers and no fruit or vegetable that can’t be boiled or even fresh pepper.

Knowledge transfer 3: Several years ago, my family was very close to the Society Devoted to the Sacred Heart Sisters and the founder ‘Sister Ida’ was fighting cancer.  Sometimes when she would go in for chemo, I would make a big pot of Venezuelan Black Beans because the taste is what she needed.  I did not understand the concept then, but do now.  Another anomaly that happens in the two weeks of chemo is that your taste buds going down the drain and so does your cooking.  Last round of chemo, I had to throw away pasta… can you imagine messing up spaghetti?  So if you go and visit a friend that is going through chemo, bring homemade tasty food, no sweets remember ‘cancer loves sugar’. 

With this said/written, I need to finish this up, head to the store and spend the next two days cooking spaghetti sauce, sloppy Joes, chili, shredded beef and the broccoli soup recipe that Dave put in my blog.

Love y’all,

ME 

8 comments:

  1. All those foods sound great! I think I need to go on the "no sweets" lifestyle diet. I crave them but they make me feel horrible, which really is not worth it. I'll be praying for you this week, and every week :) I know it's a tough journey but thanks for spreading your wisdom, it does not fall of deaf ears!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luisa,

    The knowledge transfer was excellent. What goes into Venezuelan Black Beans? I love black beans and like to make Cuban Black Beans and Black Bean Soup. I hope "port day" goes smoothly for you.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, I was cooking all day today again. Just made your bloccoli and will taste it tomorrow. Here is how I make my black beans:
    Luisa’s Black Beans

    Ingredients:
    1 lb. of uncooked black beans
    6 slices of finely chopped cooked bacon (or ham or nothing but it will not be as tasty)
    1 garlic clove crushed
    ½ cup of chopped onion
    ¼ cup of chopped green bell pepper
    1 ½ cups of beef broth = 1 can and
    1 ½ cups of chicken broth = 1 can and
    1 cup of water
    Or 4 cups of water but it will not be as tasty
    ½ tsp of cumin
    ¼ tsp of black pepper
    1 tsp of salt
    ½ tsp of sugar (preferably brown)
    A bit of cayenne pepper or red pepper if you like spicy

    Wash the beans real well.
    Place beans in a big pot, fill with water until all beans are covered and let it stand overnight. Or boil for 5 minutes and let it stand for 1 hour.
    Drain water.

    Cover beans with broth and water (or water only but I am telling you, it will not be as tasty) and season with cumin, black pepper, salt, sugar. Add other pepper if you want.
    Cover and bring to a boil then cook slowly for 1 to 2 hours (your choice on doneness).
    In the meantime, cook the bacon, once crispy place it on paper towel to drain, chop finely and place it in the pot with the beans… SAVE the grease.
    Sauté the garlic, onions and bell pepper in the bacon grease (or plain olive oil if you did not do the bacon) at low heat until they are tender. Place them in the pot with the beans.

    Add water if needed so that it does not dry up…

    If you do not have the time to do all this then you can cheat (I have done it)…
    Do the bacon and the sautéing and all except that you can use two cans of black beans and only add 2 cups of beef broth put all together and simmer for ½ hour… Not as good but it will do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recipe Luisa - Looks great and I will try it. Hope all goes well on "port day".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi - I just wanted to thank you again for your blog. I'm not technical enough to comment on the blog site, but I do so appreciate all of the information, thoughts, feelings, etc you share! Each posting always gives me something to ponder. Forgiveness is especially an issue that we all struggle with. I'm keeping you (and the Keating family) in my prayers, especially for the port & chemo this week. Thanks again for inviting us to the Shrimp boil. We had a wonderful time & all the food was very delicious. Love you - Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brooke Nafarrete, Jill Jones-Parra and 2 others like this..

    Rhonda Reneau How ya doing girl ??? Went and stayed with sister last week :) Really had a GOOD time and she LOVES your writting !!!

    Luisa Jones-Parra Keating And I love her, give her tons of hugs and reminder that I would love to come and see her

    Rhonda Reneau I will !! I'm going back down there this weekend I hope !! She has a busy week this week so I thought I would wait till we can just set at home and not get out in this heat !! She said back at ya ;) !!!

    Janet Callister Go Girl! Where in your blog is the Broccoli Soup recipe? no rush, of course...

    Luisa Jones-Parra Keating It is a comment from Dave on the Good vs. Bad blog

    Janet Callister Shanks Lady!

    Jennifer Romero-Pieron loving the blogging!!!

    Sue Tiedeman Cubberley Yes, thank goodness for military retirement benefits. It has been good for my parents. Dad even got the VA Aid and Attendance benefit to contribute to his assisted living expense. I need to meet and marry a retired military man, just for the benefits. ;-) Ok, the companionship would be great too.
    Sending you hugs and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. MaryAnn Calderon likes this..

    Julie King as in wine? a little early for that, isn't it? How are you? Sending you love and prayers.

    Betina Jones-Parra My thoughts are with you

    Luisa Jones-Parra Keating I wish ... explanation is in the blog...

    Jon Downie Hang in there!

    Barbara Scruton Hoping it isn't too awful today. I will be thinking of you.

    Carol Sperlak Miller Wonderly I just finished reading your blog. I really appreciate the "knowledge transfer" you have given me as well as everyone who is reading it. You are an amazing, courageous woman who I am very proud to call my friend. Love you!

    Jim Rooney Luisa - many prayers coming your way...

    Barbara Vettor Prayers from me too. Love you.

    Mary Kane Hope today went well and will be thinking of you tomorrow. I love you. Cuz

    Barbara Vettor Luisa, I have a recipe for Gazpacho, the cold soup from Spain. It is basically vegetables, mostly tomato and fiber, some olive oil, no carbs, no stupid sugar. If you want me to send it in your blog (if i figure out how to do it...), I will send it. I gained25 lbs in 4 months and don't know why, so i am changing my diet radically. No pasta, no bread. :))) :(((

    Luisa Jones-Parra Keating Thanks Barbie but I am not a gazpacho person

    Betina Jones-Parra I am, send it to me

    Mary Kane Me too, I love it.

    Barbara Vettor I just set Betina and Mary the recipe and a link to Gazpacho variations by message through Facebook. :)

    Betina Jones-Parra i did not read this and forwarded to my cousin (cool to say cousin) i guess there is no such thing as too many of the same recepi.

    Vicky Fernandez Lots of blessings going your way!!

    ReplyDelete