About Me

My photo
I am starting my third battle with cancer and I would like if you travel with me ...

Thursday, June 30, 2011

What kind of friend are you?

There are friends that you talk to every day, some once a week and some once a year if any.  Long distance friendship is hard to keep so as time goes by you hear from less and less friends.  Add to that the fact that you are sick or have fallen on bad times, you will hear even less from friends.

When you call a friend, most of the time you truly want to know how they are doing, but after 10 minutes of hearing how bad life is, how they hurt here, how there is no money, or whatever problem and you say to yourself ‘Yish now that was a depressing call?’ and then you tend to call this person less often.  I use to do that until it was me.  When people call me now, I always say that I am doing great.  I talk as little as possible about me unless they insist then they get the full story.  Most of the time, I want to hear about them because it has to be better than my story and I love good stories.

A friend who fell on difficult times said, ‘I do not know what I did to my friends but no one calls me any more’.  She did nothing but these days are hard for everyone, so her friends either are having a hard time and don’t want to talk about it, or don’t want to hear about her problems any more…as simple as that.  But do they love her? 

Do my long lost friends love me?  Absolutely and I treasure each and every one of my friends.  Here is what I think: You don’t call a friend for a while because of many reasons then one day you would love to talk to them but don’t know what to say, so you leave it for tomorrow and then the next day and then a year has gone by.  Oh my, now what to say? and you feel like s h it.  In this modern age the answer is simple, send a text or an e-mail (or comment on their blog-hint) and once you get a response you can restart the communication.  What if you are on the other end?  If you are the one not getting the calls, then pick up the phone and dial or send a text.

Trust me when I say this, TRUE FRIENDS ARE FOR LIFE and remember I grew up in Venezuela so I depend on technology to maintain contact with all my friends.  I am in touch with my best friend since I was 2 years old, my best friend growing up in the neighborhood, my best friend from high school, my best friend from college, my best friend after college, my first and best friend when I got to the United States, even my first boyfriend when I was about 13.

So today and now, call a friend or send a message and tomorrow pick a different friend and the next day and before you know it, you will be blessed like I am with friends all around you. 

Make yourself and someone else happy today which will in turn make me happy…can you hear that cancer cell dying?  I can.

Love y’all

ME

6 comments:

  1. Love and hugs back.
    Another crummy cancer cell gone.
    Karen B

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to say that thanks to Jacqueline Phelan I am in touch with all my dear classmates from the Sagrado Corazon ...I love you all. Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aqui desde la distancia… pienso mucho en ti, en tantas difucultades y pruebas de cariño, paciencia y tolerancia que la vida te impone. Recibe un afectuoso abrazo, por todos los tiempos y momentos vividos y por los que faltan por vivir.
    Eres una inolvidable amiga de la vida. Te quiero mucho
    Clementina

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm the kind of friend that wears many hats! I work too much but some day I hope I can afford to retire and live an adventure! My best days are laughing at watching what my Grandson can do next! Month End Reports are done, working in an air conditioned environment and I hope I'm killing another cancer cell!! LOL -

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julayne Campbell ♥ u Luisa!

    Rhonda Reneau Love this Luisa =} !! Thnak for sharing !!!

    Mary Kane What beautiful sentiments. Thank you for being you. Love you so much, you touch my heart!

    Jennifer Romero-Pieron your words run deep! loving the blog. miss you

    Maria Elena Marmodoro Rusinek Very beautiful! Friends, really good friends, love you and they don't mind hearing about depressing things all the time. They are there to support you, to attend to your needs, to give you their time and love. I think of you everyday, wishing you can win this battle. Besos

    ReplyDelete
  6. Betina Jones-Parra, Rhonda Reneau and Julayne Campbell like this.

    ReplyDelete