About Me

My photo
I am starting my third battle with cancer and I would like if you travel with me ...

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The face of Cancer

Well, I guess that no one wants to be told that they talk too much…  I got little responses, no matter, at least you read it and now you can do with it whatever makes you happy.

Today I want to tell you about what people with cancer look like, which of course the right answer is ‘it depends’.

If the person is going through chemo or radiation and their cancer is advance you probably would not see them unless you are close to the person.  When cancer has consumed you and you add the toxins provided by the treatment then you will definitely not even recognize the person except for their eyes.  Their eyes will always tell you ‘I am here and I love you’.  For these people we pray that their pain goes away.

There are some who have not been consumed by cancer but the treatment of chemo or radiation is making them so sick that you would think they too have an ‘expiration date’.  The more I learn about cancer and various treatments the more I believe that each person has the right to do what is best for them, even if it isn’t the best answer.  There are tons of people who have been treated with chemo and radiation who are alive or lived for many years, so I am not saying it does not work; it just does not work for everybody.

There are some that are going through treatment like me and you can’t tell that I am sick unless you come to my house during the 10+ days from chemo.  But all in all, chemo does not affect me in a real bad way.  Radiation is another story as I believe that radiation is what made my tumors spread but again that is a story for another day.

There are those who have cancer (like my mother) who will not undergo any treatment and look great.  My mother even laughs when she answers ‘I’m fine, I just have cancer but I am fine’.

Finally there are those who choose alternative and unfortunately I have not come across any of these people so I can’t say too much.  But do hope that they look and feel great as my hope is to only do alternative when the time is right.

The reason that I am writing this, is for you to know that sometimes you run across a person in the grocery store, or the mall or just out and about that looks like something does not fit, so before you go laughing or judging, stop and think what that person might be going through and say a quick prayer.

The other day I had to go to Target so I put my mask on as it was within my 10 days from chemo and I was already coming down with a cold.  I wanted to go in and out but as I went down the aisle, the lady in front of me stopped to chat with a lady coming from the other direction.  I waited for 10 seconds and said ‘excuse me’, as one of them started to barely move the other mouthed off ‘you have a problem with people talking?’… Well, my response was calculated and said ‘No, I actually love talking, but usually I enjoy it when the person that I am talking with is considerate of others.  My friends are usually not this rude’ and again as I moved away, one laughed and said ‘what is up with that mask, does she think she is a superhero?’  And once again I turned and said, ‘No, I have cancer and can’t afford to catch your germs.  Would you like to trade places?’  It was at this time that the look in her face was, open earth and swallow me.

So, be considerate of others as you do not know what they are going through.

Love y’all,
ME

3 comments:

  1. You go girl. All is so true. Love your strength and empowerment. Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. AAAAHHHHRRRGHHH! Luisa, voodoo to the people who are so stupid, ignorant, self-centered and insensitive! You showed her! I hope her vocal cords turn into radioactive wires and explode! OOOOMMMM! OOOOMMMMMM! I am so mean, but I mean it! Que la parta un rayo y que se la coman unos murcielagos! Conio de su....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power. ~P.J. O'Rourke

    ReplyDelete