About Me

My photo
I am starting my third battle with cancer and I would like if you travel with me ...

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Platelets, Michael, Michelle, Daniela/Barbara, Astrid Salazar/me and mammogram

So this message will be a mix, a long mix maybe but since I have been up since 3 am and all these thoughts were coming to mind I decided to write about it.

Platelets, as of last Monday mine were only 38, the normal is starting at 150 and for chemo you need 90 maybe but for sure 100 (these number are in the thousands so add 3 zeros to it).  The nurses and doctor said that there is nothing we can do, if it gets too low then I would need transfusion, they also said that platelets regenerate every 3 days so maybe I would have more in a few days.  I do not like it when someone says ‘no’ so I went on the internet and realized another thing I do not like is when people have answers to your question but they want you to pay, buy their medicine, or buy their book; luckily I found two sites that gave me the same answer, to increase your platelets you must take extra vitamin C and Papaya leaf extract.  Well vitamin C is not a problem but finding papaya leaves in Oklahoma? I had papaya enzyme which by the way it is a natural help for heart burn, doesn’t cure whatever the problem is but it sure helps when you have acid indigestion and you can take as many as you want…  good for pregnant woman and other people with problems in their digestion.  Back to platelets, so Monday I started the extra C and papaya enzyme.  By Wednesday my platelets were up to 58, a bit more than 50% but not enough so I went to my local health food store ‘Dawson’s’ I found a Papaya Leaf Tea.  Woohoo.  Came home and made 3 tea infusions on Wednesday, 5 on Thursday and one Friday before my blood test.  The result?  101. Double Woohoo.  The nurses think that time did it but I know better.  So for now, I will add the papaya tea infusion to my list of medicines.  Spread the word.  Also know that Randy ‘My Energy Doktor’ said all ‘P’s’ are good for you, plums, peaches, pears and now papaya… this does not work in Spanish but I am in the USA and it works in English.

Michael, for those that are friends with him in facebook, you must have read his latest note by now.  Michael is by heart a poet and a writer.  He is an excellent writer that writes with manly emotions (yes, there are men that do have emotions) unlike Michelle and I who write with girly emotions which turns some guys off…  By the way, male friends, please don’t give up on my blogs, continue to read, it might just teach you to be more caring and understanding of the beautiful women around you like your mother, wife, sister, daughter, niece or even neighbor.
Anyway back to Michaels note, it was intense, heartbreaking and beautiful but there are two things I would like to mention, one is ‘Someday hopefully soon you and others like you might come to the agreement that your Power of the Universe is My God and that he is good.  You can get mad at him at times but in the end, do not stay mad too long as it is not healthy.  And maybe, just maybe your situation will not be resolved until you come this realization.’  The second thing I want to say is about your comment on burning the AA book, keep in mind that it has helped others, not all but enough to say that it does work for some so before you do something drastic, find a person that might learn from that book… just saying and also saying I LOVE U more than Life.

Now to Michelle, Oh before we do that, for my earthly angel friends, please continue to pray for my dear Michael.  Okay onto Michelle, so not too long after Michael wrote his note, Michelle wrote a lovely message in her blog, you can go to leachlove.blogspot.com or click on leachlove located on the upper right hand corner of my blog.  Anyway, she too wrote ‘Processing’ from the heart and it is about her daughter, but mostly about me and my current status.  So to Michelle and others I want to reiterate ‘My dearest Michelle, first I want to say that this is one of my favorite pictures of us, we both look so happy and alive. My answer to the question "What's it like knowing that you're going to die?", 'I don't believe in witches but that they fly they fly' basically I am not done fighting yet and I still believe that there can be another miracle here and there but at the same time, I have started to take care of things so that it will be easier for my family if/when I go.  Another question you have about the ‘answers?’, well you answered that one yourself at the beginning of your blog ‘My family tells it like it is and will always share their opinion whether asked or not’ so you are blessed with 6 aunts and a grandmommy that would be more than happy to answer any questions you might have and do not forget your aunt Sonia.
May God continue to bless you my sweet daughter. MOM’

Daniela Amado is my godchild and her mother Barbara Vettor and I have known each other since we were 2 years old (that is a long time).  Daniela not wanted to accept my status, went on the internet looking for a doctor that specialized in ‘adrenal gland’ cancer not understanding that mine was lung cancer in the adrenal gland.  She found Dr. Hammer from the University of Michigan and had her mother send him an e-mail.  Barbara explained a bit of my history and this doctor wrote back within 15 minutes, can you believe that? He told Barbara that it most likely was not adrenal gland cancer and referred us to the lung cancer team.  Why am writing about this, first to let you know what wonderful angels I have on earth (Daniela and Barbara) and second to let you know that there are doctors out there that do care. 

So with that entry line I will now talk about my latest, I had chemo yesterday as the doctors here think I should at least have two more treatments before accepting that it is NOT working.  I have a brain scan scheduled for Wednesday and hoping that nothing is there.  In the meantime I had contacted MD Anderson, Memorial Sloan-Kettering thanks to Astrid Salazar Paiewonsky who was a student at ‘El Sagrado Corazon’ in Venezuela and she is now an Oncologist in Santo Domingo, another angel on earth who gave me a contact name for MSL, and of course there is Dr. Hammer and the lung team from Michigan.  I had decided that whoever called me back first with an offer of a treatment I would put my hot little ass in an airplane and go to where ever I needed to go, as I said before ‘I am willing to do anything necessary (within moral and legal grounds) to stay alive’.  Last night I got a call back from MD Anderson indicating that I qualify for a trial treatment that does not involve placebo.  The lady said that the trial team will call me next week to set up the initial consultation, so now I continue to wait and see who gives me the first date…  please continue to pray because it helps me.

Mammogram, mammogram, mammogram to my female friends, please make sure you have done yours within the last 12 months…  please, please, please even if you are under 30, call your insurance and make sure that you are covered, if you have a close relative that had breast cancer, by law the insurance has to cover the mammogram.

Love y’all,
ME

No comments:

Post a Comment